Code Baseline Moved to Java 6, Improved OpenDocument & HTML Import/Export Fidelity
(Feb 23 2015 - 12:05:44 AM
) - [print blog
What's New in this Release?
Aspose development team is happy to announce the monthly release of Aspose.Words for Java 15.1.0. This month’s release contains over 81 useful new features, enhancements and bug fixes to the Aspose.Words products. Here are some of the the biggest features included in this release: Moved main codebase to Java 6 (Java 7 and 8 are also supported). Dropped support for Java 5 and 1.4, Fields Public API, New public API members for structured document tags, OpenDocument (ODT) import/export fidelity improvements, rendering of spacing and kerning in WordArt supported and HTML export/import improved for better round-tripping. JDK 1.5 32-bit had used as Aspose.Words Java baseline for long long time. Even JDK 1.4 version had generated for users with ancient environment. Both JDKs are discontinued by Sun/Oracle. Even commercial (non-open) support of JDK 1.5 is dropped about year ago. Starting from January release 15.1 of Aspose.Words, we dropped support of Java 1.4 and 1.5. Oracle currently supports jdk 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8. Open support of jdk 1.6 is closed about year ago, but commercial support is still here. There are also few environments (like not very last but still popular versions of Mac OS) that don’t support 1.7 and 1.8, they work on jdk 1.6 only. The very last available Java JDK is 1.8 64-bit which is chosen for development and test baseline. This is becuause of two reasons: 1) it is faster than older versions, so tests and development will be slightly faster. 2) It is stricter than older versions so some bugs we can catch under 1.8 but the bugs don’t show under 1.6. However, we use only 1.6 language options, language constructs added in 1.7 and 1.8 are not used. So we can compile 1.8 baseline to 1.6 production JAR for release publication. We have now opened programmatic access to Checked/Unchecked state of SDT (StructuredDocumentTag) Checkbox through StructuredDocumentTag.Checked property. We have also added capability to create StructuredDocumentTag of type SdtType.Checkbox in the public API. All FieldXXX classes are now public. Each class corresponds to a certain MS Word field type and provides a number of properties corresponding to arguments, switches and switch arguments of that field. All field types and arguments/switches listed in the specification (except the newest ones appeared in MS Word 2013) are covered that makes it a unique solution on the market. We have introduced two property types i.e. boolean for stand-alone switches and string for arguments and arguments of switches. In defense of this approach, we can adduce the following: if we treat UI of MS Word as a visual analogue of its API, the field insertion dialog also provides checkboxes for simple switches and textboxes (without any format verification) for the rest. We have introduced three overloads of the Paragraph.AppendField() method, each corresponding to a DocumentBuilder.InsertField() method with similar signatures. This is basically to address WORDSNET-3225 (Make it possible to create Fields using DOM (without using DocumentBuilder)). We have added the FieldToc.UpdatePageNumbers() method. Since the FieldToc class, like other field classes, were initially internal, we had to wait until the rest of public fields API is ready. We have now added a new public property HtmlSaveOptions.ExportRoundtripInformation. This option allows to convert Word document to HTML format with round-trip information. Saving of the round-trip information allows to restore document properties such as tab stops, comments, headers and footers during the HTML documents loading back into a Document object. Aspose.Words now takes spacing and kerning in WordArt objects into account during rendering to fixed page formats such as PDF. The list of new and improved features added in this release are given below
- Moved main codebase to Java 6 (Java 7 and 8 are also supported). Dropped support for Java 5 and 1.4
- Fields Public API
- New public API members for structured document tags
- OpenDocument (ODT) import/export fidelity improvements
- Rendering of spacing and kerning in WordArt supported
- HTML export/import improved for better round-tripping
- Comment numbering in rendering
- Support importing li.value from HTML
- Add freature for new ImportFormatMode (Keep Source Formatting Smart)
- Text auto-fit does not work properly with vertical text.
- Add "style:paragraph-properties" -> "style:auto-text-indent" import/export
- Consider adding an ability to export documents to HTML page by page.
- Make it possible to create Fields using DOM (without using DocumentBuilder).
- Implement public field API (V1.0)
- Public fields API - Implement field types
- Allow programmatic access to Checked/Unchecked state of SDT Checkbox
- Allow to create StructuredDocumentTag of type Checkbox
- Very first AD year starts from 3rd day.
- ExternalFontCache is not thread-safe
- DocumentPageSplitter sample for Java
- Remove need of explicit casting in foreach loop for Body and other CompositeNode childs
- Left margin is being exported wrongly during Word-HTML-WORD roundtrips
- Text is missing from SmartArt when Docx is exported to Pdf
- Docx to Pdf conversion issue with image rendering
- DocumentBuilder.InsertHtml ignore list numbers
- Line break is lost after conversion from Doc to Txt
- The words have been shifted to the next line after the merging of documents
- Blank pages are added after merging documents
- Cell Widths not Preserved, Words Moved to Next Lines and Blank Pages in Merged Document
- UpdateFields does not function on CardText switch for larger numbers
- Paragraph SpaceBefore is imported incorrectly in Aspose.Words DOM
- Content moving to the next line in merged document
- Table cell content splitting to multiple lines after merge
- Content moving to the next line in merged document
- Text splitting to 2 lines after merge
- Page break issue on merged document
- Docx to PDF conversion issue with equation fields
- Textbox position is changed after conversion from Docx to Html
- Aspose.Words.FileCorruptedException is thrown while loading Docx
- Document.UpdateFields issue with relative file reference in INCLUDETEXT
- Font of list numbering looks wrong in generated PDF
- Docx to Pdf conversion issue with table's row height
- Doc to txt conversion issue with uppercase lette
- UpdateFields does not correctly handle StyleRef field with \s switch
- Text in DML TextBox truncates in generated PDF
- Document.PageCount throws System.InvalidOperationException while using multi threading
- Hebrew text does not render correctly in output Pdf
- Docx to pdf conversion issue chart rendering
- HTML table borders are rendered incorrectly
- IE8 does not open HtmlFixed file correctly
- Provide a way in API to update page numbers only for TOC
- Cell widths are not preserved when appending to another document
- Support comment numbering
- RTF->Html->RTF conversion issue with sub list items indentation
- RTF->Html->RTF conversion issue with space between list label and list text
- Position of Dml textboxes is incorrect.
- Expose HtmlSaveOptions.ExportRoundtripInformation as public proprerty
- Position of footer contents is changed after conversion from Doc to Pdf
- Font is changed during open/save.
- Extra empty page is added to the document during rendering.
- List numbering in repeated region continues instead of restarting
- OpenOffice hangs when open ODT document produced by Aspose.Words.
- Doc to HTML conversion issue with merged cell in the table
- HTM to Doc conversion issue with text
- Docx to Fixed file format conversion issue with footnote
- Support spacing and kerning in WordArt texts.
- Incorrect page count during Docx to Pdf conversion
- Incorrect page count during Doc to Pdf conversion
Other most recent bug fixes are also included in this release
Newly added documentation pages and articles
Some new tips and articles have now been added into Aspose.Words for .NET documentation that may guide you briefly how to use Aspose.Words for performing different tasks like the followings.
- How to update Content Controls: http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/How+to+update+Content+Controls
- Inserting Content Controls into a Document: http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/Inserting+Content+Controls+into+a+Document
Aspose.Words is a word processing component that enables .NET, Java & Android applications to read, write and modify Word documents without using Microsoft Word. Other useful features include document creation, content and formatting manipulation, mail merge abilities, reporting features, TOC updated/rebuilt, Embedded OOXML, Footnotes rendering and support of DOCX, DOC, WordprocessingML, HTML, XHTML, TXT and PDF formats (requires Aspose.Pdf). It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. You can even use Aspose.Words for .NET to build applications with Mono.
More about Aspose.Words
- Homepage of Aspose.Words for Java: http://www.aspose.com/java/word-component.aspx
- Download Aspose.Words for Java: http://www.aspose.com/community/files/72/java-components/aspose.words-for-java/default.aspx
- Online Demos for Aspose.Words : http://www.aspose.com/demos/.net-components/aspose.words/default.aspx
- Online documentation of Aspose.Words : http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsnet/Home
- Post your technical questions/queries to Aspose.Words Forum: http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/aspose.words-product-family/75/showforum.aspx
- Receive notifications about latest news and supported features by subscribing to Aspose.Words blog: http://www.aspose.com/community/blogs/aspose.words-product-family/default.aspx
Aspose Pty Ltd
Suite 163, 79 Longueville Road
Lane Cove, NSW, 2066