The Most Amazing Interview I've Seen - Pete Lacey on REST
(May 13 2008 - 07:26:10 PM
by Timothy Khouri
) - [print blog
I just finished watching Pete Lacey talking about REST and web services for the past 30 minutes or so. As I am invested in "Astoria" (now ADO.NET Data Services), I've gotten into Atom, Atom Pub, HTTP and REST a lot more, but a lot of it still didn't 'really click' until I watched that.
If you have some idea about Astoria (from Microsoft), or REST, and you want to have someone put all those pieces in your head together to make a beautiful puzzel painting... watch that video.
Some of my favorite highlights from that video:
- Pete's explaination of how WS* can't get away from 'tight-coupling', and how REST solves that.
- "Every peice of information has it's own URI" - REST in one sentense.
- "Everybody and everything is free to do a GET" - This will make sense to you when you watch the video :)
I can't say enough how groundbreaking that was to me. And, just to prove how much of a nerd I am, my friend (who sent me the link to that video) and I have been coming up with awesome REST T-Shirt ideas. Here are a few:
- "I GET REST" - perhaps with "And I POST too" on the back?
- "POST it a REST" - instead of the phrase 'give it a rest'.
- "Ex-WS*ian gone RESTafarian" - If this doesn't make sense to you, it's because you weren't using a Jamaican accent when you read it :)